Friday, July 4, 2008

A Spoonful of Love

What beautiful day I am having. Very domestic, but very beautiful. I feel very loved and at peace today...and no I have not been drinking, and I am not high. It is a very soy day, in many ways, but let me walk you through it.

The day began with a soy massage from my lovely husband. We got this candle from our friend which smells wonderful and as it melts creates warm soy oil/wax, which you then use in massage. A beautiful and multipurpose item. I won't detail what happened next, but you can guess...

Then the husband brings me coffee and makes me a delicious breakfast of turkey sausage and fried potatoes which I frown at because I am trying to eat healthy, and he assures me it is okay as he cooked the potatoes in the iron skillet with non fat spray. I am breathlessly in love with this man.

After breakfast I set about doing laundry. I hang wet clothes on the line practically humming a damn tune to myself. I go inside and start the soy milk maker. While it is doing its thing I set to roasting eggplants and ironing clothes at the same time. Nat King Cole plays on the record player.

A bit later, soymilk is done, and I flavor with cinnamon, Splenda and vanilla. It tastes SO fresh. I love it. Then I make fresh babaghanoush from the eggplants. While slightly more complicated than making homemade hummus, this is definitely worth it.

Babaghanoush
2 large eggplants
4 cloves garlic
4 tb tahini paste
juice of one lemon
Handful of fresh parsely
Salt and pepper to taste

Roast two large eggplants over open flame or broil in oven till skin is charred all over and flesh is obviously mushy. Place in a paper bag to cool for a bit. Run eggplant under cold water and slide skin off, put flesh in food processor with the other ingredients and voila! Put in fridge to chill...sooooo good.

Then I make vegetarian bites from the leftover okara from my soymilk.

Crab cake okara bites
1 c cooked rice (i use basmati)
1 egg
4tb Parmesan/Pecorino/Romano
1 tb tomato paste
1 tb brown mustard
4 cloves garlic minced
1 tsp garlic powder
a couple shakes of dried minced onion
2 tb horseradish
1 tb cornmeal
1 can green chilies chopped
1 tb flour
1 tsp baking powder
3 tb chives
1 cup okara
2 tb fish sauce or combo of soy sauce and anchovy

Mix and chill for about 20 minutes. Make little balls, flatten slightly and dust with flour. Fry in iron skillet or other fry pan till crisp on both sides. Enjoy! I think I will try to bake these next time...

While my husband love and cooking love was great today. I have to share that a huge part of this love was from a family friend, Mr. Richards.

I grew up with Mr. Richards, whom was a good friend of our family. He and my parents were culinary adventurers and played a huge role in my young development as a food lover and cook. I watched them make sausage together, wine, beer, bread, all sorts of things. Mr. Richards, throughout my life, even when I moved far away, always had presents for us of homemade liquors, oils, soaps, lotions and all sorts of things. All of these things are his gifts of love. He is a lot like me in that we are not traditionally affectionate, but show our love and joy through the things we make and give the ones we care about. All of these things were pieces of his heart.

As we grew up, my little sister, much more affectionate, was closest to him. However, as I got older, I felt in my heart, the quiet love I have had for years for this kind, generous and gifted man. So fast forward to today -- For my wedding, Mr. Richards gave us the soymilk maker. Which I obviously love, and today has played a huge role in my happiness...a smaller, and perhaps more metaphorical gift from him was a set of measuring spoons shaped like hearts. I also used these today. As I looked at them, covered in tahini and powders and other cooking smegma, I think in my heart, how they remind me that every time I use them I am adding his love to whatever I am making. It also serves as a reminder to myself to never measure out my love in fractional amounts, that it is always okay in life to use a heaping spoonful, life will come out better for it.

Peace and love to you.


No comments: