Sunday, July 20, 2008

Yay Yasang!

For once I was grateful for the technolgy that is a palm. Desperate for non-chain dinner ideas in Roswell, fellow YELPer Rebecca K. googled on her palm and we ended up at Rasa Yasang for Malaysian. I think she even used the YELP thing on-line. WOW, these reviews were right-on. This place is a gem.

The decor was lovely, understated, clean and classy. The service was impeccable. Our waiter took the time to answer questions and make special requests happen. When we asked him what he liked on the menu, he had specific things he liked and didn't just fumble around and point out the most expensive thing on the menu. Both Rebecca K. and I took his suggestions.

We had:
First Course
Roti Cana - I had only had Carib Roti - but this was great, and one of our friends with us said it was yummy and authentic.
Shrimp Toast - This was the best I have ever had. Actual shrimp, crispy, covered in an interesting crust of sesame seeds.
Rasa Sayang Special Coconut Soup - I liked this - but prefer the Thai version with its spice and tang. Rebecca K. gulped hers down!
Lobak Roll - This was yummy. Tofu skin, kind of like phyllo, gently held a stuffing of shrimp and meat.

Main Course
Singapore Fried Noodle - Our friend loved this, and requested not spicy, and they had no problem accomodating.
Spicy Garlic Eggplant - This was my recommendation, and boy howdee it was good. I don't know how many times I have ordered something "garlic" off an asian menu only to have it taste nothing like garlic, and more like some innocuous thick "asian" sauce of indeterminate flavor. Not so with this. The eggplant was rich and tender. The Garlic was so full flavored, carmelized....the depth of flavor. It was like heaven.
Basil Beef - Rebecca K. had this. I liked it, and I think she did too, but I honestly was more concerned with my eggplant.

The only thing I felt bad about this place was that we didn't clean our plates! The food was really good, but we were really full of appetizers and sunshine and beer from earlier. I was so excited to eat the leftovers, and the husband and I enjoyed them thoroughly the next day...I could consider driving all the way back up to Roswell for this. Good Stuff.

1 comment:

l'aventurière de saveur said...

M ate my entire box of leftovers as soon as we got home from your place, so I got none! He liked them a lot, though.