Saturday, July 26, 2008

La La Laarb

I love laarb. I don't remember when we first had it. I have been making my own for years and order it every time we go somewhere Thai. It is basically a cold spicy, herby, juicy meat salad. I have had both poultry or beef versions, but I can imagine that you could make with just about any meat except fish. I have made it with chicken, beef and pork before.

We recently had some at dinner with some friends and their children. They all loved it (kids too) an asked for me for the recipe. Here goes:

La Belle Laarb
1 # ground meat (I usually use turkey or chicken)
1 cup cilantro or more
1 tb fish sauce (or soy sauce with a little anchovy paste or just soy sauce)
1/2 tsp splenda or sugar
3 cloves garlic
Juice of 1 lime
Pinch cayenne
3 tb soy sauce
Lettuce or cabbage leaves to accompany.

Cook the ground meat. I usually grill so I get rid of all the fat. Chill in fridge till cold.

Put everything in a food processor and pulse. Don't grind too fine as it will be pasty - ech.

I usually use the above ingredients as a guide, but add more of less of anything depending on personal tastes and my mood. Leave out cayenne if you don't want any spice, add more sweet if you wish, add more juice for a juicier flavor. You can also substitute mint instead of cilantro if you so choose.

You can then serve right away with lettuce or cabbage leaves on the side, or you can make little lettuce leaf wraps filled with the laarb, or serve like a salad. If you let the laarb sit over night in the fridge, the flavors meld even more and it is delightfully piquant. Very refreshing summer meal.

No comments: