Saturday, July 26, 2008

Pilgrimage to a Sage

Our first time at Sage on Sycamore was half-price bottles of wine on a Tuesday, but I can't remember what we ate - it was a long time ago. This time it was a quick on-the-way-home stop for dinner.

We were a little bummed because we were really hot, and I don't think they have a/c (or if they do it is seriously tired), the ceiling fans were running, but we were looking forward to coldness that was not there. The mojitos we ordered were f-ing awesome and very cold and refreshing so that made it a little better, the second one made it even better than better.

We like to sit at the bar, and sit we did and nibbled on:

Fried artichokes
These were cornmeal encrusted. I liked them and the spicy sauce they came with. They were not greasy at all, and the portion was a good one. The husband did not like so much.

Mussels Provencal
I admit it. I spooned out every last drop of cream from the left over broth. I would have licked the plate if we were sitting closer to the back, but we were right in front of the picture window. The grilled bread that came with it was buttered and perfect. We eat mussels a lot, cooked every which way, and I haven't had ones this rich in a while. Good Stuff.

Caper Ceaser Salad
I was a bit pissed cause it was served as a wedge with dressing which is irritating to chop up, but maybe I am just lazy. The flavor was excellent though. The capers were a fantastic acidic addition. I scraped at this plate for a while as well trying to get the dressing off.

hmmm. I don't know what the sum up is. The food was pretty darn good. The drinks were perfect. But somehow it didn't feel right. They served all our plates at the same time which was a little awkward when you are eating at the bar. Not to mention we were racing to eat the hot stuff before it got cold, and it cut our dinner (and therefore pleasure) time in half. There also was no music playing when we got there - kinda weird to sit in a big place like that, at the bar, on a Friday night, and not have the music on. Just didn't feel right.

But we'll be back anyway for 1/2 of wine Tuesday night!

Hmmm

No comments: