Monday, November 26, 2007

Food Studio

I have so many things to write, but haven't had time to. I guess I will start with a birthday dinner for the boy and his parents as the preamble to our Thanksgiving gluttony. We chose the Food Studio located in King Plow Arts Center. We had early reservations and they were decidedly empty, but the service was ready and the ambiance was lovely. It was a little bit dark on entry...leaving us grasping for the nearby hand rail, but once seated, I felt kind of enveloped and warm. A fireplace flickered in a nearby hearth, casting shadows on the rough walls and aged industrial design...somehow it made the two story ceiling seem not so tall. The service included, to my delight, not only crumbers and gentlemen who pulled out chairs, but also upon seeing we all wore black, the waiter brought us black napkins instead of white ones!

While the boy's father, not accustomed to high falutin' dining, was a bit uneasy upon entry, he quickly assimilated and began an animated discussion about football with our waiter while we waited for the first course. He relaxed for the rest of the evening and I dare say enjoyed himself.

We had:

Amuse Bouche
Mini brie toasted cheese sandwiches

First Courses
Duck Confit Agnolotti with porcini mushrooms and truffle oil
This was rich and luscious, the broth was eagerly and unashamedly soaked up with bread
An Artisan Cheese Tasting
While this was nice, I was not wowed by any cheese.
Almond Dusted Foie Gras with roasted plums and sticky bread
This was also just nice. The lobes were large, but a bit too firm. The consensus was that we had had better. I don't think it came with plums, more like a fig cake, but I could be wrong. The little cake was good, but didn't seem to want to play with the foie gras. on the plate the items just seemed too big, there was no visual balance inviting you to pair the flavors.

Main Dishes were:
Roasted Monkfish with fennel, leeks, shitakes and a coconut-curry broth
I felt this was too bland and and the monkfish a bit overcooked. I am used to it melting in my mouth.
Atlantic Salmon with celery root puree, bok choy and soy ginger butter
The mother enjoyed this very much. She commented that the fish was perfectly cooked.
Braised Pork Belly with smoked gold potatoes,Tuscan kale and tomato vinaigrette
The boy moaned and groaned over it. I thought it was pretty good as well.
Maple Glazed chicken with chestnut-chorizo bread pudding and caramelized onion jus
The chicken was nice, but the bread pudding was the sort of dish I like...something that surprises and excites you. It was rich, spicy, firm and creamy all at the same time. Very good.

Dessert was:
Pressed Coffee
An assortment of mini creme brulees

Wine was:
A Cote de Rhone I can't remember the name, but we got it at the Farmer's market for $7 the next day!
We had a glass of sauternes with the foie gras as well. Still lovely.

Overall I think everyone really enjoyed themselves. The service was great, the atmosphere great, the food good, just not stellar. I just am okay with this place.Probably about three ***.



No comments: