Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Love in Manchester's Arms...

I don't often venture this close to the Perimeter, or to the southside of town, but I met some girlfriends at the Manchester Arms pub for a weeknight dinner last night. I am now intensely envious that this place is in College Park.

The pub is housed in a really lovely converted Tudor house with a large patio nestled between a wooded area, a church and a residential neighborhood on Virginia Avenue. The atmosphere is as charming as the architechture (which includes a stunning arch-shaped entry door). I walked in to find a small bar, cozy tables and friendly, laid-back, attentive staff.

We were seated in the upstairs space which has exposed beams, but, somehow, feels cozy and not at all echoey. We ordered beers which came quickly (impressive considering how many times the poor server had to climb the stairs!), and then ordered fish and chips and the steak-and-Guinness pie. Our dishes arrived quickly, and they were hot and delicious. The fish was crisp on the outside with just the right proportion of breading to cod and not too greasy. The chips (i.e. fries) were also crisp on the outside, but soft and steamy on the inside. The fish needed a little salt for our taste, but it was perfect with a drizzle of malt vinegar. I haven't had fish and chips like this since I was in London.

I didn't try the steak-and-Guinness pie, but it looked and smelled amazing, and my companion's plate was nearly licked clean, so I think it was also excellent. We then ordered the bread pudding and the Guinness brownie, the two desserts our server reported are prepared on-premises. The bread pudding was decent. The Guinness brownie was transcendent. Soft, chocolatey, not-too-sweet. I'm not a sweets person, but this brownie is everything that a brownie should be and more. The kind of brownie that two bites is enough to satisfy because it's so rich and gooey and perfect. *drool*

Our server happily split our checks, and the meal was more than reasonably priced for the excellent service, the homey atmosphere and the high-quality food. I was skeptical about the experience I would have venturing down south, but I left with a happy belly full of delicious food and happy memories of a place that is ideal for a get-together with good friends. Even if it is nearly OTP. ;)

No comments: