Saturday, October 13, 2007

Food Diary # 4 Blue Ridge Mountains

Errgh. I can't express enough what a wonderful weekend this was. It was my birthday and another friends, so six of us headed up to The Last Resort in the Blue Ridge Mountains. I stay here alot. The weekend started with massages on the porch in the lovely mountain air and was followed by days of cooking and drinking, laughing and drinking, eating and drinking, hottubs and drinking...and surprisingly no hangovers!

The TV never got turned on. Though the place was totally wired with speakers outside and over the hottub. This allowed us to have moments such as Marianne Faithful and memories with lunch, OutKast and Gorillaz for dancing maniacally in our socks and of course, Elvis Gospel with coffee Sunday morning on the porchswing...perfect.

To the food! oh..sigh...the food. We cooked everything fresh...We outdid ourselves. It makes me almost teary.

Friday lunch
Smoked Chicken (From my spatchcock!) wraps with edamame

Friday dinner
Pizza Dough for pizza and a giant misshapen calzone
Toppings: Basil, tomatoes, sheep's milk feta, garlic, olive oil
and Cappicola, fontina, garlic
Arugala salad with lemon

Friday birthday cake and ice cream
Homemade green tea ice cream with homemade chocolate cake with wasabi ganache and fresh whipped cream and sesame seed frosting (SOOOOOO GOOD, and I am NOT a cake or big chocolate freak)

Saturday early riser snack
Coffee and Candy Corn!!!

Saturday breakfast
L's famous Polish Potato Pancakes with sour cream and apple sauce
Kielbasa
Fried Eggs
Champagne


Saturday lunch
"No Knead" bread fresh out of the oven (gosh this was good)
Curried Sweet Potato Soup
I don't know if I can remember it all, but I will try: Cappicola, Busetto, krinos olives, cornichons, goat cheese, cheddar with whiskey, buffalo mozzerella, artichoke pate


Saturday dinner
Curried Chicken and Lamb Josh Rogan with basmati rice (This was good for dinner, lunch and breakfast...Not too spicey...perfect!!!!)

Sunday breakfast
Creme Brulee french toast (recipe from my boss!)
Kielbasa

To Drink...well I forgot to write them down as I was drunk the whole time, but about 25 bottles of wine, red and white, a bottle of jagermeister, three bottles of premium tequila and an assortment of beer including Dale's Pale Ale, a pumpkin ale and Bass.

I couldn't be more grateful for my friends. I love them very much and thank them for all they give me, their hearts, their ears, their friendship...and the joy of cooking and eating...and drinking with each other. I also thank god for how amazingly beautiful the mountains were...as usual. I swear I will live up there yet...

No comments: