Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Eat at Cafe Lily!

Hi y'all. A number of things that I've cooked have been mentioned here, so I figured I'd give it a twirl writing about it myself. So, here goes.

Restaurant review: Cafe Lily, Decatur.

After our friend's book signing, we went to Cafe Lily on Sunday night with a party of about 12. My boy met us out. It was quite lovely. We sat in the Moroccan room which was cozy and just quiet enough to make conversation among a large group exciting. We started off with grilled toast with spiced olive oil, followed by their signature mussels which we ordered in a lovely spicy tomato-broth concoction. My boy gets freaked out by mussels...but he actually ate more than one of these!

I had a nice sauvignon blanc since I was eating shellfish and chicken. I should note that I don't usually care for whites, but this one was quite perfect for my food. I think it might have been from New Zealand, but I'm not sure. The boy tried one of their Zins with his lamb dish -- he was in heaven -- Cafe Lily specializes in Zin, his favorite grape, and easily half of their wine list was Zinfandel.

My chicken saltimbocca was great -- juicy, stuffed with proscuitto and fontina, served over a mound of mashed potatoes as big as my head. It looked like I hadn't even put a dent in them when I was done. They were slightly lemony, which was nice with the chicken and the mushroom-wine sauce and kind of surprising given that mashed potatoes are usually just sort of earthy. I also tasted the boy's lamb, which was quite good. It was served with these potatoes that tasted like apples, but I didn't remember reading about apples on the menu, so I went back to the menu as we were paying and noted that they were white sweet potatoes!

The friend who arranged the dinner noted that the reason they wanted to frequent the place is because the restaurant owner is very ill with cancer (in addition to it being yummy). So, go to Cafe Lily the next chance you get!

No comments: