Sunday, August 5, 2007

Food Diary #3 Red Top Mountain


So we went camping, and well, we don't really believe in roughing it all the way, at least as far as food goes. The boy,dogs, and I drove up to Red Top Mountain near Cartersville, Georgia for a four day weekend...it was just what we needed.

NO TV, no computer, no telephone, no chores, no errands. We read, ate, played cards, swam in Lake Alltoona, had lots of naps and then ate some more.

Thursday Dinner: Krystal! We haven't had this in years...my tummy hurt the next day, but we put away a sackful and never looked back.

Friday Breakfast: Sweet potato pancakes and coffee from our percolator...much better than the instant we have used the past five years...perc is SOOOO much better.

Friday Lunch: Roast turkey, tomato, lettuce, mayo and mustard on a whole wheat wrap with Cheetos X's and O's and pickled okra.(When I lived in New Orleans I was enamoured of X's and O's and then I hadn't seen them in years. I called the company about it I missed them so much, but they just said distribution varied...I was very excited to have some this weekend.)

Friday Dinner: Amazing and moist 1/2# turkey burgers with a little cumin and mayo added to hold it together. Grilled over the fire. Rice and carrots.

Saturday Breakfast/Lunch: Dang, it started raining EARLY. We didn't get out of tent for a while so we combined lunch and breakfast into a mass of yumminess: Fried tortillas, chedder cheese, salsa, fresh avocado, turkey bacon and scrambled eggs...our version of heuvos rancheros...and an ice cold red stripe with it!

Saturday Dinner: A family tradition: Dinty Moore Stew, though when I was a kid we ate it with "squeeze butter" on white bread...we ate it with croissants and threw some chipotle cheddar cheese on top.

Sunday breakfast: Another family tradition: Corned Beef Hash. I put jalapeno sauce on it and the boy held his nose and feigned illness. My arteries hurt, but it sho' was good.

We were grateful for: each other, the dogs, that our tent stayed dry, that we love each other, that it was so relaxing and that god's beautiful world is still around for us to enjoy.

No comments: