Sunday, August 19, 2007

Bad Bananas Gone Good

Don't you hate when your bananas go bad before you can eat them? Well, I am always trying to find ways to use the "bad bananas" as I hate to throw away anything. Usually they end up in banana pancakes or muffins or some sort of bread or dessert or smoothie, but last night they ended up in a lovely banana curry soup.

The boy came into the kitchen while I was cooking, looked around, and not seeing any meat sighed and asked "vegetarian night again?....." "Um, whatever, Mr. Duck confit" I replied...he had much nicer things to say about dinner later when he tasted it.

Recipe is pretty easy, I mixed up a few I found to suit my ingredients...

Curried Banana Soup

1 onion, chopped
2 clove garlic, chopped
2 tb curry powder
2 tsp pepper
3 banana, smushed or chopped into slices
2 cups chicken or veggie broth
1 can chopped tomatoes, or 3 fresh chopped
3/4 can coconut milk
splash of heavy cream if you got it

Saute the first 4 ingredients in a bit of olive oil or cook spray for a minute or so, taking care not to burn the spices. Add the bananas, tomatoes and broth. Simmer covered for about a half an hour. It will get weird foam on top, don't worry about it. Puree the soup and in the last batch you are pureeing, add the coconut milk. Mix all soup together and ad the splash of heavy cream and serve.

I served this with a side of sauteed zucchini. If you prefer a hotter curry, add a bit of red chili pepper or ground red pepper to soup before you simmer.

No comments: