Monday, May 28, 2007

Wine and Risotto

Wine. We love it. We are lucky enough that about nine years ago we both worked at Broussards in New Orleans as a waiter team. I was a captain (the first female ever to hold this position) and the boy was my first waiter. (One of two restaurants we worked together at.). At Broussards we refined our taste in wine. I was required to attend weekly classes in wine tasting so that I could recommend appropriate wines to accompany our menu. We tasted several vintages I could never afford and still can't. My favorite wine to this day is the Super Tuscan Brunello di Montalcino; it is still too pricey for us except for on special occasions. Our everyday wines tend to be a bit more, er, budget.

Tonight we drink two five dollar bottles:

Redwood Creek, Pinot Noir, 2005
I love this because it is easy to drink. For months I had admired their advertising, vintage travel type advertisements to "Visit Redwood Creek," it wasn't till I noticed the bottle on my local Kroger shelf however, that I picked it up. It is a fave now. Easy and gently to drink from the moment you open it. As a Pinot Noir it is super mild and just fine for whatever you want to serve with it.

Alice White, Shiraz, 2006
A bit tannic at first cork, but if you open it when you start to cook dinner, it mellows by the time you pour.

We eat vegetarian usually every other night in an attempt to keep pace with out waistlines. >
Tonight we had:

"Chicken" Pita sandwiches with Mesclun and goat cheese and Lemon Thyme Orzo Risotto

Sandwiches
2 Boca Chicken patties
1 whole wheat pita
A Handful of mesclun greens from garden
Some sort of leftover soft goat cheese
1 Tb Dukes Light Mayo

Preheat Foreman type grill, panini press or saute pan, spray with cook spray.
Microwave patties in their plastic (slit for steam) for about 1.5 minutes.
Spread mayo on hot patties and slice in strips. Stuff in 1/2 pita for each person with cheese.
Grill for about 2 minutes or so. Pry open and stuff with mesclun. Serve.

Risotto
Care of Bon Appetit
The risotto takes longer, so make it first and the let it sit while you make the sandwich. It won't get cold.

Today we are grateful for: The boy is grateful for college classmates who have been responsible and communicated effectively allowing for him to relax and enjoy his meal this evening. I am grateful for the boy, whom I had edit some copy for a project, and then I got to return the favor by editing a paper for him.


On the stereo during dinner: Neil Young, Decade
Post dinner and extraneous wine: Hank Williams, Jr. Greatest Hits

No comments: