Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Lovely Dal

So tonight I didn't get home till 8 as there was insanity at the office. I walked in the door and straight to the stove. For me, often cooking supper is my "wind down" time...Today is veggie day so we had:

Leftover Dal from freezer, whole wheat couscous, edamame and thai chile and lime cashews from Trader Joes

Dal
(not sure where I got this simple recipe as it resides on a post-it note in my food file, but it is a favorite.)
2 TB olive oil
1/2 onion chopped
1 clove garlic chopped
1 c red lentils (rinsed, but not soaked)
4 c H20
1 cube bouillion (either chicken or Rapunzel sea salt and herbs vegetarian)
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tb fresh chopped ginger (you can use powdered, but it's just not the same)
2 Roma tomatoes diced (no one will die if this is left out)

Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil for about 2-3 min till soft in a soup pot. Throw everything else in there, bring to a boil and simmer with lid off till you are happy with consistency. At least 1/2 hour. I like to cook them down till they are almost a thick soup, then I might throw a knob of butter in right before serving...not necessary, but sometimes super good. Cool before serving. It will hurt you if too hot, but it will hurt so good!

Served with whole wheat couscous cooked in broth (either veggie or chicken). Follow direction on package (or if bulk like we buy...usually 1 c couscous to 1.5 c h20 to 1 bouillon cube.)

Edamame is just soybeans; you can have them fresh, canned or frozen. I grow them, but the frozen ones in pod or shelled are awesome. Serve them hot with sea salt or icy cold with sea salt...lukewarm not so good. Available even in conventional grocery stores these days.

Thai chili and lime cashews are from Trader Joes...we finally got one here in Atlanta...I had been eating out of the Ohio and Michigan ones ironically until now! Nuts are VERY good for you, healthy oil, satisfies your fat cravings...just don't eat 9000 of them.

Just cheap vodka and sodas with lime to drink today.

On the stereo: Sly and the Family Stone (The boy claims Sly is the Prince of the seventies.), Dance to the Music, Simon & Garfunkel, Bridge over Troubled Water and Best of the Doobie Brothers...Check out their sexy album art!

Today we are thankful for: The boy is thankful he didn't "go off" this morning went our train messed with us for like 1/2 hour switching us back and forth across the tracks on trains...um a bit stressful. (I am glad no one shot anyone it was that stressfull!) I was thankful for my cilantro in the garden, even though is bolted and refuses to quit flowering. I have accepted it and embraced the blossoms, cut them, and put them on our dining table. They smell nice, even if they refuse to provide me with my sweet, sweet cilantro.


No comments: