Sunday, December 30, 2007

Impromptu Soup

It will take forever for me to write about everything we've eaten and cooked over the last week or so, but here is a really quick recipe that resulted from arrving back at home after the holiday to a fairly empty kitchen except for leftovers...I didn't write a recipe while making it, so I hope this is about right. We were looking for something with a little less fat in it!! The boy liked it so much he insisted I try and write it down so I could make it again. I swear, I am trying to practice to write for other cooks. It's hard, most of the time I just improvise. Well, here goes!

Impromptu Black Bean Soup

Saute in 4qt pot:
1 small onion chopped
1 tb olive oil

After 3-4 minutes add:
4 cloves garlic chopped
3 gentle shakes of chili powder
1.5 tsp ground cumin

After 1 minute add:
1 can black beans drained
1 can creamed corn
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 can H20
2 bouillon chicken cubes

Bring to boil then cover and reduce to simmer for 30-45 minutes.

Turn off heat and puree ½ of mixture + 2tb neufchatal/cream cheese
Return to pot and stir.

Add and stir:
¼ Meyer lemon squeezed
3tb chopped fresh cilantro
Salt and Pepper to taste

Garnish with any of the following
Sr cream, cilantro, slivers of Monterey jack or cheddar

Gently squirt a little more Meyer lemon over top before serving.


YUM!

No comments: