Wednesday, September 5, 2007

So long soleil...

Tonight was a sentimental "end of summer" meal. It started when I got home at 7:30 and had to rush straight to the garden to pick before the sun went down. What the heck? It's dark at 7:30 already? It was dark at 6 this morning too. The garden, even here in the south, is going woody. Last planting for early fall today as I quickly tore out a final salad from some plots and threw in some sprouts, accompanied only by the mosquitoes who obviously have not gotten the memo about summer ending.

I had picked tomatoes, green peppers, arugula, mesclun and radish laves for a salad, a bit of fresh oregano for a dressing, but I ended up with one of those super simple salads that are a sign of the freshest, most delicate lettuces which highlight their subtle flavors and really need little more them, olive oil, a splash of fresh lemon juice and of course some nice salt and pepper. I topped the greens alone with some smoked tuna, which came from a can and was remarkable in flavor and texture compared to traditional tuna in a can, and even the whole ahi steaks I buy frozen...nothing compares to fresh, but dang this smoked stuff was WONDERFUL. Definitely a buy again. A tiny bit of freshly grated Parmesan on top, et voila.

We also had a soup which was very bizarre, intriguing, cooling and delicate. It was pretty simple to make, just yellow squash and leeks sauteed with coriander seeds in olive oil, simmered in broth and pureed. Let chill over night and then whisk in creme fraiche or sour cream and some freshly grated lemon peel. Salt and pepper to taste. I used veggie broth and no-fat sr cream, and it was insanely rich and creamy just the same. I swear: leeks + vegetables = magic as far as richness goes. The boy thought it was a banana or fruit chilled soup it was so light and delicate, like a custard. I did determine though that I wished I had (a) removed the coriander seeds prior to serving, even though they were scant, they were a little disconcerting to absentmindedly bite down on in the midst of a light citrus bliss and (b) I wish I had either a food mill to make the soup even finer/smoother, or that I had strained it. It's sunny disposition deserved a smoother mouth feel.

We felt like it was the end of the summer. And it is. And while I welcome with open mouth: soups with beans and bacon, rich roasts and potatoes a thousand ways, chocolate that is drinkable and football food in all its forms, I will always have a place in my heart, and my two sizes smaller summer clothes, for the light delights of the warmer months.

No comments: