Saturday, July 14, 2007

Tater Cakes

"Tater Cakes...You got the cutest little Tater Cakes..."

This is the song we sing whenever we have potato pancakes. I discovered the world's best potato pancake recipe a couple weeks ago and made them again for breakfast this morning. So good, I think I will make them for the parents when they visit next week.

This is another chemistry lesson regarding moisture in food. Potato pancakes are always tricky because raw potatoes have so much water in them and can frequently become soggy. I have been making them forever in various ways;. Recipes will advise you to dry the grated potatoes with paper towels, or do this or that...the past few years I have added flour to your basic grated potatoes and egg, but this recipe kicks butt. Resulting in fluffy, crsipy, rich,tasty tater cakes...so good makes you want to sing...

While I traditionally serve these with nonfat sour cream and chives, some folks like applesauce. I was out of sour cream so I served them with truffled lowfat mayo...goodness this was good. Okay...This is from Cooks.com:

MAMA'S POTATO PANCAKES

3/4 c. bread crumbs (dry)*
2 1/2 c. potatoes (grated)
1 sm. onion (grated) or 1 tsp. onion powder
1 egg (beaten)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 sage
1 tsp. baking powder
dash of pepper

Mix all ingredients until well blended. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls onto hot, greased skillet. Spread the batter and brown pancakes on both sides. Serve hot with butter.* Makes 10 pancakes.

*I didn't feel like getting the chopper out for the breadcrumbs, so I used instant potato flakes, you could use cracker crumbs too, for a lazy man's substitute. I also didn't use the butter...You can always omit the onions, add in shredded cheeses or herbs...you name it.

As an aside...booked tickets to Paris today...I have been absorbed in reading "The Historic Restaurants of Paris: A Guide to Century - Old Cafes, Bistros and Gourmet Food Shops" by Ellen Williams. Of course I am taking notes and working hard to find an apartment to rent near my beloved choices. Thrilled to find that several of the places Julia Child mentions in her book "Ma vie en France" still exist, and may be visted by us!

No comments: