Sunday, October 12, 2008

Jo-el Needs a little So-ul

This place was interesting. The food was definitely five stars. It was amazing, rather pricey, and at the same time a bit boring. The service was good, the noise level was good, it just didn't have that "je ne sais quoi." I did not feel FABULOUS eating there. Maybe it was the design of the space, which, while comfy and elegant, was not interesting or helpful in setting the stage for the beautiful culinary show we were about to indulge in. It was kinda like a classical opera cast with incredible voices, but on a modernist stage set. It was beautiful to one sense, but a bit conflicting to the other. And it left me wanting.

But not in my tummy. Quite frankly it was the many ways we could have foie gras that drove me here in the first place. And eat foie gras we did. Though we did exercise moderation.

We had:
Seared foie gras with rum and pineapple
Totally expecting to not like the pineapple/rum, but it was amazingly balanced flavors...they played off each other very well.

Butternut Squash Risotto with Criminis
This was to die for and I purposefully got the risotto because I am not fond of them and wanted to see if this would be different. Holy doo doo was it good. This frothy mushroomy broth floated over the creamy rich risotto and hunks of meaty mushroom clustered like a forest over it all. Beautiful - again a perfect, and rare combination of different textures and flavors that balanced and played with each other perfectly.

Smoked hangar steak with green peppersorn sauce
The husband ordered this and it was delightful and the sauce was rich and dark. Almost coffee-winey like. Really a masculine steak, and his choice of wine, a California Bordeaux named Unity, was all tobaccoey and earthy - god a perfect match - to my dish too...

Venison with foie gras ravioli
I love game, but I almost wondered what planet this came from - I have NEVER had venison this tender in my life. I can't explain it. It had the flavors of a wild mountain, I mean you could taste the wild life of the deer in it (of course, mine probably came from a farm!), that gamey wildness, but it melted in you rmouth like butter. Juicy, meaty butter. And the ravioli were perfect little al dente pockets with a tiny surprise of rich soft foie gras at first bite.

Delicious.

No comments: