Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Up a River without a Paddle

Would be just fine with me if I was stuck in this canoe.

The boy and I have always wanted to try Canoe, but have never made it there for some reason or not. Well, after almost 10 years in Atlanta, we finally went.

Since we had early weekday opera tickets, our reservation was for 5:30. We were early for our seating, and the hostess suggested we have a cocktail or wander the gardens. We did both. The weather was cool and perfect, the sparkling white pinot we sipped was crisp and clean. The vista, charming, green and cheery. The boy's hand, soft and warm in mine. Though with all this waxing poetic I did struggle a tad in my 3 inch heels on gravel paths...c'est la vie I suppose, it meant more clinging to the boy's arm tightly...

The service was attentive and knowledgeable. The bread delicious...soft butter, always a good sign. Black napkin for my black dress, white for the boy's khakis...always appreciative of that.
Loved the view from our cozy and roomy booth, did not love as much the waiters hanging at the wait station directly next to us. There should be a law about wait stations in promximity to diners in restaurants. I remember when the boy and I worked in 5 star, we were foribben to hover and to congregate on the dining room floor. We were to "appear when needed and disappear when not"...magically. I appreciate these nuances of fine dining. Though it did not kill the expererience.
Luckily, I was for the most part distracted by the food.

We had:
Duck stuffed crispy Georgia Quail with blackberries, roasted vidalia onion puree and cilantro: This was WONDERFUL. The tart of the blackberry,. the sweet of the onion, the fresh brightness of the cilantro contrasting with the crisp light crust and the tender rich complexity of the two birds...just wonderful.

Salmon Creek Farms BBQ Pork Belly on english pea terrine and jicama vanilla slaw: I like pork belly. I think this could have been very good. But it was cold, and cold congealed fat is unsettling. Now perhaps a hot belly would pair nice with the chilly cool of the pea terrine and the crisp slaw...but it was not hot.

Whole crusted sea bass with garlic, lemon, fennel, capers and olives with fresh green beans: Cooked perfectly, tender sweet flesh was light and firm, buttery in contrast to the bite of the caper...perfect.

Slow Roasted Carolina Rabbit with swiss chard-applewood smoked bacon ravioli, candied garlic jus: I had rabbit about six months ago and was wholly disappointed. Inspired by some darlings romping about my yard this weekend, I decided to give them another chance. I am so glad I did. This was beautiful, meltingly sweet and tender. Redolent of rich dark forests bright with springs youth,heavenly and transporting, yet held to earth by the perfectly paired jus and ravioli. The boy had chosen a tempranillo for me to accompany, and it did so with grace.

I was distressed that we had no time for coffee, dessert or aperitives. I was sure there would be a fascinating cheese plate just waiting for me to discover it.

Overall, the place was lovely, romantic, the food and service top notch. I look forward to dining there again...hopefully that cheese plate will be there!


No comments: