Sunday, March 2, 2008

Simply Delicious

So a couple of us head up to the mountains this past weekend on a free pass. I have to see a client, and they put us up in their generosity at a lovely three bedroom lodge overlooking the river. We hit the spa, then hit the hot tub and several bottles of wine.

All three of us have been working 10 hour days and are very tired. Our usual obsessive compulsive cooking feats that take place on mountain "girls" trips are conspicuously missing. We eat random things that taste good. Cheese weighs in heavily as do olives, nuts and a pound of bacon between us. The wine, mostly care of Trader Joe's was all very good. Right before we left for our trip up, I did grab two of my favorite simple things to make, and belle requested I post the recipes...they are quite good and very simple.

Lentil Lemon Soup

Bring to a boil , cover and simmer for at least a half hour...or till lentils are tender

1 cup french green lentils, rinsed and cleaned
4 cups of broth, any kind
1 tsp red chili paste, or 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

Before serving add
juice of one lemon
salt and pepper to taste

Cabbage Salad with Lemon and Herbs

Mix together and chill, or serve immediately

4 cups of shredded cabbage (I just use one bag of pre-shred)
1 lemon, sliced into thin wheels and seeded
2 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp sea salt
black pepper to taste
1 tsp sugar or splenda
Juice of one lemon
1/2 cup chopped dill, mint or cilantro
1/4 cup currants, raisin, or pomegranate seeds

*Note the intensity of the lemon dressing increases as it sits.

Mmmmmm. The first time I made this, the boy and I ate the entire batch.

Today we are grateful for: The boy enjoyed a positive college sports moment, NCAA basketball was great...even though he usually never watches it. I am grateful for my lovely friends and our quiet weekend, even though I had to work for a little part of it. It was beautiful and I feel refreshed.

No comments: